Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Senior Research Project - Methods Exercise

While quantitative data and surveying employees may be the best idea to do for the research project which I am proposing, it is not a reasonable method to follow through on. While it is true that I would be able to get much better accuracy and precision doing a longitudinal testing, however technology is growing at such an exponential rate that by the time testing and experiments are done, it may have already become null and void as new technology may have emerged. For this reason, I have decided to use a qualitative method for doing my research.

I will use several qualitative methods to do my research. First and most obvious, I will search online through scholarly databases to find academic journals and various other documents. Looking at case studies which are currently available and related to my topic of research is another method I will look at. These case studies will be extremely helpful since I will most likely not have the time to do my own experiments. The final methods I will use is interviewing and observing the management and employees of the business to get a better idea of the personality of company and its culture as well as an idea of what the management and employees want and needs.

As the saying goes, “time is money”. Most businesses need immediate results and do not have the time to wait for experiments and testing to fail. The qualitative methods I have chosen will help grasp what businesses need, and give an idea of what is already out there that works, or does not work in a short amount of time. I will use these methods to meet the demands world of business while trying to not fall technologically behind.

1 comment:

Donna said...

good...

be sure to include what kind of research questions you will be using in your interviews, etc...

I'll be looking to see that your methods are well developed and that the data they produce will address your overarching research questions